Broccoli and Rice Casserole is one of the most common types of casserole dishes made in America. It is often made with chicken for a chicken broccoli rice casserole or sweet potato casserole. Some recipes call for rotisserie chicken that is already cooked or you can use chicken thighs, chicken breasts, or any kind of leftover or cooked chicken you have. But you can also use turkey, pork, or beef. In fact, you could even use some kind of fish like trout or salmon.
Add seasoned chicken to chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, or even shredded cheese for a cheesy chicken broccoli casserole. Then, just toss in some minute rice, chopped fresh broccoli, and seasonings like garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, oregano, or onion powder. Pour it into a prepared baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on what chicken you are using.
Who invented broccoli and rice casserole?
Although it was a French-Canadian woman in New Hampshire who is credited for the first casserole dish, it was not broccoli and rice casserole. Elmire Jolicoeur got noticed for her contribution in 1866 but the first ones date back further than that.
Some say it was in the 13th century when communities all put their foods in a communal pot to make one big casserole for everyone. But that was not broccoli and rice either. It was more like lasagna. Nobody really knows where the first broccoli and rice casserole came from.
Plain broccoli and rice casserole
You do not have to add any meat to your casserole at all. In fact, one recipe calls for brown rice, cream of mushroom soup, chopped broccoli, sharp cheddar cheese, and sour cream with crushed Ritz crackers on top. Another one just uses plain shredded cheddar cheese, a wild rice mixture, chicken broth, and bread crumbs with melted butter on top. You can use any kind of cheese and rice you like.
Broccoli rice recipes with cheese sauce
Any kind of rice tastes delicious with cheese sauce whether it is made from shredded pepper jack, mozzarella, colby, or parmesan cheese. Some of my favorite recipes are made with bite-sized pieces of leftover chicken, broccoli florets, and plain white rice drenched in melted gooey cheese, and some kind of condensed cream soup. It is a comfort food classic.
What to serve with ham casserole
• Sauté onions in olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then add chicken, green beans, rice, and broccoli to your casserole before baking and you have a complete meal.
• Top with corn flakes and melted butter for a crunchy golden-brown topping.
• You could also use panko topping with more or less cheese for extra flavor.
• Speaking of more flavor, you could also season chicken with Italian seasoning.
• Serve with a large mixing bowl of iceberg lettuce, shredded cheese, grape tomatoes, and salad dressing.
Frequently asked questions
What kind of rice is best for this recipe?
Any kind of rice you like is what you should use. We prefer long-grain white rice, but you can also use jasmine, coconut, black, arborio, or basmati rice. Using cooked rice is a good idea if your recipe calls for a short cooking time. But uncooked rice is better for those you have to cook for more than 30 minutes. You want fluffy rice, not soggy rice.
Can I make broccoli rice casserole gluten free?
Since rice is naturally gluten-free, you can certainly keep it that way by not adding anything with gluten in it. Cheese is almost always made without gluten, but some cottage cheese may have wheat additives. If you are counting carbs, you can make your casserole with cauliflower rice instead of regular. Add some chicken breast, kosher salt, and chopped broccoli with light sour cream.
What is the easiest broccoli rice casserole recipe?
There is a wonderful recipe with a prep time of just about five minutes and a baking time of 30 minutes. Use rotisserie chicken, fresh broccoli florets, cooked rice, condensed cream of chicken soup, shredded cheddar cheese, and top with corn flakes before baking. Be sure to melt butter and drizzle it on top so you get a brown crunchy topping.
Tips and tricks
• Frozen broccoli works for this recipe nicely, but you can use fresh if you have it. Steamed broccoli would be a good choice.
• Spray nonstick cooking spray or use olive oil on your casserole dish before baking to keep your food from sticking.
• Broccoli and rice casserole does not need any kind of meat or cheese with it. Just add some cream soup and milk for a delicious dish.
• Do not cook your rice first if your recipe has a cooking time of more than 30 minutes or it will get too mushy.
• If you do cook the rice first, do not cook it all the way. That way, it will absorb some of the liquid and seasonings from the sauce.